Saturday, January 18, 2014

- Day 1 To Boston - An Old Pal


It’s Saturday evening January 18, 2014.  India and I leave in a few hours for her surgery in Boston, Massachusetts.  We will be gone for up to a month and to say I’m worried would be the understatement of the century. 

The journey to get her to Harvard Boston Children’s Hospital has been absolutely brutal in so many ways; even as recent as tonight.

But ironically enough, India and I will be getting up at 4:00 am tomorrow morning as I used to in the Navy. And of all people, an old Navy friend from the Aircraft Carrier USS Ranger CV-61 that we served on will be taking me and India to the airport at 4:45 am.

I’ve not seen him in God knows how long and he’s going to meet me at my house before the sun rises to give us a lift to the airport.

For me, here is what is really neat about this story. 

One of the last times I talked to my Navy buddy was in the Persian Gulf in 1989. We were in a “Machine Room” where he had duty; horrible duty. This room was an awful place to have to spend hours upon hours, staring at engines humming, no windows, wearing hearing protection from the deafening sound and enduring 100+ degree heat.

We’d sit in this steel room and just talk (shout) about what we were going to do when we got out of the Navy.  We had fantastic ideas and our homes were going to be surrounded by white picket fences.
The day my pal left the ship, he gave me a book that I still have to this day and display proudly in my dining room.

My friend is now the Principal of “La Cueva High School” in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It’s one of the top rated, if not the #1 in the state of New Mexico.

Thank you Todd.

P.S. Albuquerque High Bulldogs Rule!









No comments:

Post a Comment