Saturday, October 19, 2013

An Unexpected Celebrity Dinner


In the mid 1990's when I was in TV and living in Los Angeles, I went to a poetry reading by Jimmy Santiago Baca who is a former convict and poet from New Mexico. I managed him for about 32.55 seconds just after his movie "Blood in Blood Out" was released. 



Taylor Hackford directed the movie. Mr. Hackford also directed the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman". I always appreciated that movie because a Sailor kicks a Marines ass and I'm a NAVY Veteran!



Anyway, Mr. Hackford was at the reading so I introduce myself, thank him for the ass-kicking scene and next thing I know, he's inviting me to his house for dinner. 

Well..... His house was impressive and I was in awe. I find myself looking at a shelf with his Academy, Grammy and numerous other awards. Then I realize I need to be polite and offer to help with dinner preparations. 

Mr. Hackford said some ladies name might need some help in the kitchen. So I go into the kitchen to find Helen Mirren struggling to get a huge dinner prepared all by herself. So I rolled up my sleeves and we cooked fish and it was really fun. 



She was caught off guard that some kid she didn't know walks into the kitchen and starts helping her cook dinner. And here is the catch, I had no idea who she was... 

 Never would have imagined...

No comments:

Post a Comment